CATIA 3DX Surface Design
- ONLINE COURSE
- Webcam and microphone are needed
In this course students will learn to use wireframe geometry and surfaces to create
complex features often not possible in the Part Design workbench. We will be using
the latest software from Dassault Systems; 3DExperience for this class, however we
will refer back to CATIA V5 from time to time to help those trying to make the transition.
For those unsure of the purpose of a Surface Design CAD application we usually have people look around our fabricated world and notice the design style of the various elements. Most items you see could be designed in the solid modeling environment rather than surfacing. But look for any object using smooth, flowing contours, these are the items that require the depth and detail of surface design. Aircraft (wings especially) and cars are some obvious products. Modern coffee makers, hand held vacuums, computer mice, and pretty much anything ergonomic was likely designed as surfaces. It's definitely a more complicated and time-consuming method, but the results are typically far more impressive.
- 3DWireframe: curves, lines, planes and points creation and modification
- Geometric transformations: axis to axis, affinity, symmetry
- Curves in space: circles, parallel and connect curves, splines, corners, spiral
- Curves on surfaces: intersection projection, boundary, propagation, combine
- Surfaces from curves: sweep, blend, multi-section surfaces, sill, sphere, revolution, extrude
- Surfaces from surfaces: offset, near, disassemble, untrim, join, split, extrapolate, extract, fillets
- Operations: Surface-solid operations, connect checker, draft analysis, feature edition, work on support, display modes
This course does deal with classically more difficult concepts than you'd find in the Part Design workbench (Solid Modeling), but having said that we feel that if you've had no CAD prior experience, but work well with computer software, you could start here in Surface Design and pick up the solid modeling portion later. If you feel that's not something you'd like to do, then we'd recommend taking either our CATIA Part Design or Fusion 360 course.
Class Dates and Times
Mailing List Signup - Click here to get notified of upcoming classes!
First time taking a class at AMSC? Find out how to apply and register.
Note: When searching for AMSC classes, filter the Class Search by - Academic Organization: Manufacturing.
Contact Damian Cianci at email@example.com if you have any questions.